Avocado Quinoa Salad
A super tasting Avocado Quinoa Salad is not only bursting with flavor it is loaded with lots of vitamins and minerals that are great fuel for your body.
It is bittersweet when the hot Arizona summer months come to an end. Looking back through these last few months, we have made so many lasting memories. Before sharing this flavorful Avocado Quinoa Salad, I want to share one of our top memories of the summer. This last weekend we traveled to Pinetop, AZ to escape the heat of the valley. It is so beautiful up there (it is my happy place). My son loves the mountains, so we have been traveling up there for his birthday for the past couple of years staying with my aunt and uncle. I just love our visits with them. Two of my cousins come with their kids and my parents join us as well. This year everyone went on a picnic and hike.
We all had such a blast watching the kids hit a piñata filled with toys and treats, then we had cake (I make a delicious VEGAN VANILLA BIRTHDAY CAKE, I will post the recipe soon). My son enjoyed opening his presents at our campsite. It is such blast, and being in the pines is just amazing! This year we had a lot of thunder and lightning storms roll through, but the weather was perfect (well because I love thunderstorms!!!). We didn’t see much wildlife like I thought we would. Just a single Elk…. THAT’S IT, and very unusual to not see more wildlife. I love the mountains and spending time with my amazing family, I am so blessed to have remained close with my cousins and their littles.
Avocado Quinoa Salad
I wanted to share one of my special summer memories, but now… on to this delicious AVOCADO QUINOA SALAD. I eat this salad all year round, but since it is served cold, it is the perfect summer salad. It is a great side for any summer BBQ or party, but I usually eat a ton and it turns out to be a complete meal for me. It contains many of my favorite ingredients: quinoa, sweet corn and RED ONIONS (my favorite!!!). My husband says that I must limit the amount I put into the salad because not everyone is as CRAZY about onions like I am (can you tell he is not an onion fan). Avocados are at the top of my favorite food list too. I use two avocados in this salad because it makes it taste so good. But feel free to just use one (boring!!)
Here is a list of what makes this salad HEALTHY:
• Quinoa is one of the most protein-rich foods we can eat, containing all the essential amino acids that we need (it is a complete protein). It also contains many important minerals potassium, potassium, zinc and iron.
• Red bell peppers contains lots of vitamin C, B6 and E. It is also known to have anti-inflammatory benefits.
• Sweet corn is known to promote healthy vison.
• Red onion (my favorite) contains plenty of vitamins and minerals, including folate, thiamine, calcium, magnesium, potassium, manganese and vitamins C, K and B-6.• Other than tasting amazing, avocados have some great nutrients in them. They are full of Vitamin K, Folate, Vitamin C, Potassium, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E. They are also loaded with healthy fats and fiber. Woot woot! Could it get any better than that!?!
• Black Beans are a great source of fiber and protein.
This salad contains many ingredients that does a body good. My absolute favorite part of this salad is my son loves taking it for lunch (and he is only in Kinder, he already knows how to eat good tasting heathy foods!). To sum it all up, this salad is bursting with flavor and is super DELISH! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Avocado Quinoa Salad
A super tasting Avocado Quinoa salad is not only bursting with flavor it is loaded with lots of vitamins and minerals that is great fuel for your body.
- 3 cups chilled cooked quinoa
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1 cup sweet corn I like to brown mine in a frying pan
- 2 diced avocados
- 1 finely chopped japeleno
- 1 cup black beans
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
In a large bowl, combine quinoa, bell pepper, sweet corn, avocados, jalapenos and black bean. Mix well. Set aside.
In a small bowl combine lime juice, lemon juice, olive oil, cilantro, cumin, chili powder and salt. Whisk until combined well.
Pour dressing over quinoa mixture and stir well. I prefer to chill the salad for at least 30 minutes (totally up to you!)
inspired by Lemon Tree Dwelling
Great Dessert Recipes